Thursday, June 7, 2012

Checking in with the rookies

The 2012 WNBA draft class was underestimated. Many fans, already looking ahead to the loaded 2013 draft, were too quick to dismiss this year's rookies and their impact. The only player many gave credit to was number one-pick Nnemkadi Ogwumike.

Already, this year's rookies have proven them wrong. Each one of the top picks I spoke to for this piece - Nnemkadi Ogwumike, Shekinna Stricklen, Devereaux Peters, Glory Johnson, Shenise Johnson, Samantha Prahalis, Natalie Novosel and Riquna Williams - have already become key role players for their teams.

I am also endlessly fascinated by what happens when I ask many different people the same questions; the variance in response says so much about the athlete.

It was fun talking to each one of these young women. I'm looking forward to seeing those I haven't seen play at Staples Center yet.

No comments: