Wednesday, March 18, 2009

WBCA JC/CC awards announced

The Women's Basketball Coaches Association has announced that Ned Mircetic of Ventura College is their 2009 National Junior College/Community College Coach of the Year. Mircetic, who just coached his 19th year at Ventura, has taken his teams to 12 state Elite Eight games, appeared in nine consecutive Final Four contests, made seven straight championship game appearances and captured five state titles.

In an interview with me last fall for a story on junior colleges that I was writing, Mircetic said he loves his job.

"My job coaching women's basketball is the best job in the state of California," he said.

Mircetic is known for his off-court warmth, and he maintains relationships with many of his former players - several of whom are coaches themselves now. But in practices and during games, Mircetic is intense.

"I've been around long enough so that (potential recruits) know what to expect from me," he said.

I met Mircetic over a year ago when I took my basketball kids to check him out. I would trust any kid of mine with him.

Mircetic will be honored at a luncheon April 6 in St. Louis during the Final Four tourament.

Link: http://www.wbca.org/Releases/JCCCCOYPR2009.html

The WBCA also named their All-American team and Honorable Mention Team:

http://www.wbca.org/Releases/SFCAATJCCC09.html

Fantastic couple of lists.

No comments: