Saturday, March 12, 2011

Brea Olinda out in the third round

Another upset tonight: Brea Olinda lost to Canyon Springs in the third round of the Southern California Division I state regional finals, 63-53.

What??

In the other semi, Mater Dei used a fourth-quarter surge to overcome Narbonne after playing neck and neck for the first three periods. IM in OC will have a report soon.

I'm really surprised by all this.

Edit at 11:50 p.m.: Mercedes Russell and her Springfield teammates won the Oregon 5A state basketball championship tonight. Wish my sophomore year had been like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Canyon Springs is real good. In fact, the top 20+ teams play in Southern California now play in Division One. Brea almost lost to Santiago in the CIF quarterfinals and Canyon Springs almost lost to Cajon also in the CIF quarterfinals. And Long Beach Poly lost in the quarters to Santa Monica. That division is stack. Now the rest of the divisions only have a couple of decent teams in them.

Sue Favor said...

They sure are. I first saw them Feb. 28, 2009 at a playoff game against Santa Monica. (If I felt like it, I'd go back into my archives and find the blog posting on March 1, 2009...).

They upset SM, who was highly favored to win, on pure guts and heart. Thea Lemberger was left sobbing in the arms of her coach.

Saw T'eara Laudermill play last May at the big tourney in Pomona with her club team (I blogged about that, as well, and included a picture of her). She is the engine of that team. If they don't do well next weekend I'll be surprised.

Division I is too stacked now.