Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What? Brittney Griner throws a punch, is ejected from game

The Baylor freshman phenom's star is a bit tarnished now after she punched Texas Tech sophomore Jordan Barncastle in the face tonight in the second half of their game.

Griner likely faces additional discipline from Baylor and the Big 12, and Baylor coach Kim Mulkey said she will also deal with Griner.

"There's no place for that in sports," Mulkey said. "It was ugly for women's basketball. It was ugly that coaches were on the court, that benches cleared, and I will take care of that with my team."


I'm not a Griner expert, but I never heard of her doing anything like that while in high school. What could have got under her skin like that?

Video.

Damn. She just clocked her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quote from a old 2008 hoopgurlz article about Brittany Griner, "Once, she raced downcourt during a club-basketball tournament in Galveston, Texas, and knocked a girl out, reprisal for being kicked in the head."

http://www2.hoopgurlz.com/story/life-above-rim

Anonymous said...

You know, I am not sure what set Griner off, but her actions were really uncalled for. Yes she was fouled and the foul was called, but it just seemed like she lost it. Her actions made no sense and it is unfortunate that she could not control her emotions. She is young, but she needs to control the urges to throw blows, even when she is frustrated. I would be curious to see how the two were playing each other throughout the course of the game.

Sue Favor said...

I've had numerous moments the last couple of weeks where I've been on the edge of snapping. But I'm more than 20 years older than Griner. I'll give her some slack this time, but she best get that temper in check. With Mulkey on her ass, she will.