Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Shaq is back; one high school baller won't be

The University of Oregon is sure getting nostalgic this year. First they acknowledged ousted former Coach Jody Runge at a January game. Now they're honoring Shaquala Williams, dismissed by former Coach Bev Smith:

For all the highs and lows of Shaquala Williams’ career at Oregon, she missed out on one of the most dramatic moments any player will ever enjoy in college.

Dismissed from the team during her senior season in 2002-03, Williams never got to experience senior night. Never got to be celebrated by the fans who so enjoyed her remarkable UO career, or soak in one more memorable night at McArthur Court.

Williams will get that final chance to be feted Thursday, when she serves as the honorary captain for the opening game of the final homestand for the Oregon women’s basketball team in McArthur Court, against USC at 7 p.m.


Is the U of O realizing it messed up? Seems like it.

Here's something I've not heard before: Jacksonville, FL standout Kayla Brewer will forego her high school senior season to begin playing for South Carolina next year. I can see her point, because if she doesn't feel the competition is there, then there's no reason to stay.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue:

Speaking of mistakes, how about a little coverage of Stringer's recent comments? First come a ton of stories about how bad it is for the Rutgers players, especially Speed, and now we have Stringer saying her team won't go to the NIT and instead, she needs to go to an island. Well, I think we all agree on the last part.

Sue Favor said...

I wouldn't say it was a mistake.

For one thing, I don't want to go overboard on Stringer. All the news lately has been negative, and I don't want to seem like I'm bashing her anymore than anyone else. I'm not going to run something on her everyday.

Another reason for the no Stringer zone is I've been more busy lately than I have been in two years. I'm doing one of the biggest things in life right now, and I have a committment I'm fulfilling that could end on any given night this coming two weeks. I've been meaning to post a sort of apology, because the blog isn't as thorough as it usually is of late. But I hope you'll all hang in there with me, because in less than two weeks I'll be "back."

If you want to give me some links to the Stringer stuff I'll be glad to post them. But right now I don't have one minute that isn't accounted for already.

Anonymous said...

I think it is a mistake IMO for Kayla to do this, she also didn't play for her high school team this year and averaged about 18 ppg her soph year so I'm not seeing how this all adds up but also, kids already grow up too fast and high school experiences help with the maturation process.

Anonymous said...

I guess she transferred and played ar Lee, but still strange.