Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Shekinna Stricklen named USBWA Freshman of the Year

The U.S. Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) named Tennessee freshman cager Shekinna Stricklen its national Freshman of the Year on Wednesday. Stricklen becomes the first Lady Vol to earn the prestigious honor from the USBWA.

Stricklen started in all 32 games she played in as a rookie and led the Lady Vols with 13.3 ppg, 3.0 apg and was second on the team with 5.9 rpg this season. Stricklen, along with classmate Glory Johnson, became the 11th and 12th Lady Vols to start their first career game in the Orange and White.

"I am very excited and honored to have been named the Freshman of the Year," said Stricklen. "I want to thank my teammates and coaches for pushing me every day to be the best I could be. Without them, I could not have achieved such an incredible award.

"I am extremely blessed to be able to play basketball at Tennessee, as it has always been my dream," commented Stricklen. "There are so many great players in women's collegiate hoops that this is truly a special honor."


Story link: http://www.utladyvols.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/040109aad.html

Congrats, Kinna! Knowing your heart and work ethic, though, I'm not surprised by this.

1 comment:

Sue Favor said...

Thanks! It's actually a secret - that beneath the "sass" is a mushy ass basketball fan and person. Don't tell.