Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Milestone season

In beating South Florida, Vivian Stringer became the fourth coach to achieve 900 wins.

This is one of the most milestone-rich basketball seasons that I can remember. I've chronicled every player and coach milestone I've come across this season, so scroll through the entries the last two months for more.

ESPN analysis of Stringer's record.

A look back at Stringer's career.

Personally, I believe more should have been made of Georgia Coach Andy Landers' 900th win. He did it in less time.

Tonight's other main event:

#2 Notre Dame came from behind - yes, behind - to stuff Syracuse, 79-68.

Full scoreboard.

Other college news:

Tomorrow night for Tennessee, the SEC title is on the line. And it's senior night.

Towson Coach Joe Mathews' contract won't be renewed for next year.

Uh oh - three Washington Huskies suspended for Thursday's game for violating team rules.

Michigan State's Jasmine Thomas has grown through adversity.

Georgia's Merritt Hempe is ready to hit heights.

This last week will tell the tale in the SEC, Pac-12 and Big East.

Idaho State's senior class will leave a lasting legacy.

WNBA:

The Sparks have re-signed Jenna O'Hea and signed Paola Ferrari from Paraguay to training camp.

The Silver Stars have signed Julie Wojta and Yvonne Turner to training camp.

Sparks forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike, playing in Poland this winter, has had a heck of a year since graduating from Stanford.

Q and A with newly-signed-to-the-Liberty Katie Smith.

More for Diamond DeShields:

Georgia stand out Diamond DeShields is the 2013 Naismith Girls High School Player of the Year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great link on the Andy Landers piece. I hadn't even heard of him before and he's coached Georgia for 33 years!?! Shows what I know I guess. Totally under the radar.

Kinda strange given the hoopla being made about everyone else going over 900. You should let ESPNW know. They totally missed or ignored the lead up to this milestone. Pretty interesting since there have been about five pieces on Stringer's run up to 900 in the past several months. Your comment is spot on.

Nice to see Stringer make it over the top. Pretty surprising Rutgers won given the tear that USF has been on recently.

Anonymous said...

Looked a bit further. Evidently around 80 of the wins were at a Junior College in Lander's first head coaching job. I guess that's why the major sports media outfits aren't talking about it.

I agree it's still a significant accomplishment.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/022413aaa.html

Sue Favor said...

You've never heard of Andy Landers??????

Anonymous said...

Not that I can remember. I guess when it comes to WCBB coaches I've been reading pretty much what has been served up. I knew Georgia had a traditionally strong WCBB program but frankly never really paid attention to who was coaching them. I don't really follow the SEC. More of a Big East, Mid Major and PAC 12 follower.

I only get network TV / ESPN and the PAC 12 channel so if WCBB isn't on there I'm not seeing the games. I can't remember ever watching a Georgia WCBB contest.

I know about him now though. Was impressed by both articles and his coaching perspective in general. I though it was particularly cool how he said his wins when he was a JC coach meant as much as those at Georgia. Sounds like a great leader.

Given his W / L record I assume he's been playing second fiddle to Tennessee for most of his tenure.

Now I'll have a horse in the race if SEC teams are involved.

Sue Favor said...

I would caution you not to just become a fan of your favorite teams. Even if you don't care for teams, at least know who is on them and who coaches them.