Sunday, February 19, 2012

Emotional night at Middle Tennessee State

It's been almost a year since Middle Tennessee State's Tina Stewart was stabbed to death. Last night - senior night - the Lady Raiders paid tribute to their fallen teammate, with her parents present.

Interviews of her teammates and MTSU coach Rick Insell were shown on the large Blue Tubes, and her parents were presented with Stewart’s framed No. 20 game jersey.

“It’s such a special day for me to know her loving memory is still here,” said Stewart’s father, Adrian Jackson. “That’s why I’m not breaking down. I’ve always been so proud of Tina, and the pride is still there today.

“She loved MTSU and Murfreesboro, and she spoke of it all the time. It’s made me love MTSU, because this is a true family. There is nothing fake about it.”
......

“It means a lot to our family,” said Stewart’s mother, Ida Jackson. “I can’t tell you how much we appreciate the thoughtful prayers, phone calls and letters we have received. Today is so special. It means so much to me that Tina meant so much to so many people.”

The lump in my throat is exacerbated by the T-shirt Stewart's father is wearing in the picture.

__________________

UCLA at USC preview: Trojan Coach Michael Cooper is still getting used to the college life.

No comments: