Thursday, December 25, 2008

Ivory Latta switches teams

This news is about a week old, but I didn't catch it: Ivory Latta and the Turkish Basketball League team she was playing for, Team Ceyhan Belediyasi, came to a mutual agreement to terminate her contact. Latta will play for the Maccabi Ramat Chen team of the Israeli League for the remainder of the winter. Before her departure, Latta had averaged 20.4 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.9 assists for Ceyhan.

Seimone Augustus of Galtatasaray is ranked fifth in the Turkish League in points per game, at 16.4 (fourth now that Latta is gone); Alexis Hornbuckle of Besiktas is fifth in rebounds per game and first in steals; and Shannnon Bobbitt of Botas is second in assists per game with an average of six. The complete list is on the Turkish Basketball League main page:

http://www.eurobasket.com/Turkey/basketball.asp?women=1

Finally, I hope the Atlanta Dream blog author answers my question as to how these four people ended up sitting at the same table together.

http://atlantadreamblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/game.html

Kind of an odd grouping to me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scarab had the four people right: Lauren Jackson, Diana Taurasi and Sylvia Fowles are the players and Pokey Chatman is the coach.

All play for the Spartak team in the Superleague A Russia. I believe this is the team profiled in a recent issue of Sports Illustrated. Chatman is not the head coach of Spartak, but an assistant coach.

The pic is taken of them in Venice. The other two people are unidentified, but might be an assistant coach and his wife. It was taken either in November or December 2008. Most likely, it was taken when the entire team was on the road to play Beretta in Euroleague competition.

Sue Favor said...

Thanks, pt. I could identify them all right away, but wasn't sure whey they were together. Of course it's for a team. Venice sure looks beautiful.

Anonymous said...

i thought pokey left her gig as assistant coach for spartak to be a head coach on one of the other teams.

Anonymous said...

i should've mentioned that it was reported that pokey had added the blonde assistant coach she had at lsu to her staff in russia.

yes, sass, its me. :) and let me just add, its freaking cold today!

oh, yeah, and the 'ivory latta switches teams' had me thinking something other than a change in basketball locations. LOL

Sue Favor said...

1. Girl, you're confusing me with your rumors. But I checked with the Dream PR woman and she said she had no info on any of it. Sorry.

2. It's crazy cold today! I don't like this. It was 60 in LA today.....did I mention I'm going back Friday?

3. Of course that thought ran through my mind when I was originally posting the entry, but let me clarify: I don't know what team Latta plays for.

Anonymous said...

ohfreakingkay, i got it sorted out!

pokey is still with spartak as an assistant coach. HOWEVER, she coaced Slovakia during the summer season and according to this ebkell link, is the head coach of the Slovakian national team.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=44994&highlight=pokey

i do it all for you, Sass! we can all rest easy now. :)

dang, i'm sure glad you didn't try to drive over to spokane. did you see where they closed i-90 between north bend and cle elum due to all the snow and fear of avalanche? good decision!

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

sorry for the typos, Sass. i was just so excited to get this speculation ended that i must've missed a couple keys here and there. :)

Anonymous said...

i promise, this is my last post on this subject. :)

from pokey's blog, dated july 16, 2008.

http://www.coachpokey.com/Blog/BLOG_035.htm

in it she talks about being head coach of the Slovakian National Team and how she recruited Christie Sides to be her assistant.

the end.

Sue Favor said...

"i do it all for you, Sass! we can all rest easy now. :)"

:-D

I'm speechless. (And that doesn't happen often)