Friday, December 11, 2009

Strength on tap

I saw this a few days ago but didn't have time to read it until today: Melissa Jones runs the show at Baylor. I've been saying that since the season started.

I like this part the best, because it shows that 1. you can't have everything and 2. you can make the most of what you do have - and succeed mightily, too:

"I think that's something that I kind of turn to with what my bothers have taught me," Jones said. "Just because of the fact that I'm not as quick as other players. I'm not going to be able to jump as high as everybody. So if I can just get in there and be physical and give myself a couple of those opportunities, that's what I'm going to go for."

North of Waco, Saint Louis University Coach Shimmy Gray has a new blog. Today, she discusses why she thinks hard-working athletes shouldn't be ashamed to shed tears over a loss. It's a point well-taken, and one I agree with. I'm not a yeller type of coach myself, but many of those who are disdain, and even ridicule tears. Whatever. If everyone would just tend to their own business, worry about their own tears and their own rebounds, the world would be a better place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love melissa's game. she is everywhere on that court. not the most naturally gifted athlete, she makes the very most of what she's got. she is the epitome of that phrase, 'don't ever give up.' melissa is the glue that holds baylor together.

the idea that tears are a sign of weakness is so passe. tears are a way of releasing tension. and if you've given all you got in a situation, only to have the results you've worked so hard for not materialize, why wouldn't someone be disappointed and maybe shed a tear or two?

remember 'broadcast news' with holly hunter? she used to start her day with a cry and got it out of her system so she could face the day fresh and feeling strong. what a concept! :)

scullyfu