Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thursday night lights



Shekinna Stricklen hugs Angie Bjorklund after her last-second 3 won the game for the Lady Vols, 60-59 over Mississippi.

I didn't think I had much to worry about tonight with Tennessee hosting Mississippi, but I should have learned from previous games this season. The last minute of the game just about put me into cardiac arrest. But somehow, once Alex Fuller got that rebound, a calm settled over me. I knew they'd be OK.

Bjorklund's three-pointer was so pretty. If I were at home I would have yelled, as usual, but I was in the gym sitting on a bike that I had grabbed for dear life. When the ball swished through the net I started saying thankyougodthankyouuniverseohmylord. And the guy next to me started a conversation. I've had more sports bonding moments in the gym with men over basketball games; it's really funny.

Pat Summitt: 999 wins! She's almost there.

I love these play-by-play logs: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/playbyplay?gameId=290292633

Florida State (20) beat Duke (6) 82-75.

And in the most surprising game of the night, unranked Georgia defeated fourth-ranked Auburn 67-58. Previously, the Tigers had been unbeaten.

UCLA put up a valiant fight for the first three-quarters of the game against Cal tonight before the Bears began to slip away. I was really impressed with the scrappy play of the Bruins. They are getting better with each game.

For the next two nights, I'm attending high school games. More later.

2 comments:

The Kim said...

Not sure if I can take another half season of games like last night.

At least my hairdresser is making money off getting rid of all my grey hairs!

Go Lady Vols

Sue Favor said...

Me neither, girl. No apparent gray hairs yet, but I thought my heart was gonna come out of my chest last night.

Aaaaaccckkkkkkk..........