Thursday, July 31, 2014

Hoopism is 6!!

Today marks the sixth anniversary of this blog. I started it on this date in 2008 with the intention of shining light on women's basketball, from the high school level to the pros. As of today, I've had almost one million page views.

The fun I've had blogging for the past six years has been worth at least a million dollars. Writing about basketball, both for this space and other websites, has taken me to arenas far and wide, three NCAA Final Fours, heart-stopping games and great WNBA events. I have met some fantastic and phenomenal people - both coaches and players.

It was captivating and gratifying to watch and chronicle Cal star forward Reshanda Gray ball out in high school, and to see her and USC star guard Ariya Crook play elite ball with club team Cal Sparks. To think they're both about to be college seniors messes with my mind.

Layshia Clarendon is another player who I watched in high school. She also went to Cal, and is now in her second year with the Indiana Fever. I talked with her the other night before they faced the Sparks here in Los Angeles, and she is a grown woman now - not a shy kid anymore. As a teacher, I can't think of anything more gratifying than to see that transformation.

Coaches at all the major colleges I cover have changed over these six years: UCLA, USC, LMU, CSUN, SDSU. I've watched each one of these teams have the ups and downs that go with the cycles of life, and not just basketball. The sport truly is a metaphor for life.

The WNBA keeps getting more talent-laden with each passing year. The game has truly evolved a lot. The new generation is very exciting to watch - Nneka and Chiney Ogwumike, especially, for me. But with veteran Tamika Catchings, you can never go wrong. As the league has become more like a business, I appreciate those that play with intense heart and passion more than ever.

Thanks for your readership. I will be back later to blog more.

3 comments:

Abacus Reveals said...

As always, appreciate both your hard work and your passion.

Take a bow, Ms. Sue!

Sue Favor said...

Thanks, my friend!!

JM said...

Congratulations Sue! Your blog is a staple of my day and the game would not be the same with out your contributions. Cheers to six and many many more!
-JM