Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day 1

I got up so excited this morning. Finally, the first day of the NCAA DI tournament.

Here's the bracket after today's match ups.

I had wondered why Marist was seeded tenth and Iowa State was seventh, and the Red Foxes proved me right by winning, 74-64. Hey, you don't get to 30-2 easily.

Gonzaga also "upset" Iowa, 92-86. Courtney Vandersloot was a beast for the Zags, putting up a career-high 34 points. Not to mention that the game was exciting.

And speaking of heart-stoppers, I sure enjoyed that Marquette-Texas game. For whatever reason, I wasn't at all surprised to see Tatiyiana McMorris pull out that last-second three for the Golden Eagles to pull out the 68-65 victory. I love Coach G, but I just don't get it. Three years, three first-round exits.

St. John's pulled off the upset, outlasting Texas Tech for the 55-50 win.

Kentucky had to battle to stave off Hampton, 66-62.

Notre Dame also had to kick it up a few notches to beat Utah, 67-54.

One of the other games I watched today was UCLA-Montana. The Bruins played sloppily, but they managed to pull it off, 55-47.

Predictably, Stanford kicked the butts of UC Davis, 86-59. But ESPNW still insists UC Davis was the story of the day.

Mechelle Voepel has a day one wrap up.

And here's a little about what goes into planning for the NCAA tournament.

Tomorrow's most intriguing match ups: Houston and West Virginia; Georgia and Middle Tennessee State; Louisiana Tech and Rutgers.

No comments: