Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Great news from HD Woodson High School in DC

Jeniece Johnson and Bernisha Pinkett found a new home after decommitting to North Carolina State University - they are Kentucky Wildcats:

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/042009aaa.html

"I am so proud of the girls! Hard work pays off and anything is possible through faith!!!" Coach Frank Oliver told me.

Oliver is also proud of his point guard, Ronika Ransford, who is mentioned in this story from the ESPNhoopgurlz site:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/womens/news/story?id=4085868

Last fall I interviewed Oliver and some of his players via telephone. Oliver had enough enthusiasm in his voice to go all the way across the country to me in Los Angeles, and back again. I could see why his players love him.

Though the team was dealt a setback when Johnson was ruled ineligible to play a fifth year, and didn't finish as many thought they would, the team continues to produce solid players. Since Oliver works at the middle school that feeds into Woodson, I'm confident this tradition will continue.

No comments: