Monday, April 30, 2012

More on WNBA training camps

As the Fever open camp, here are five areas to watch for.

Sky Coach Pokey Chatman talks about the first day of camp.

The Mercury is thinking point guard.

The off-season was good for the Silver Stars' Sophia Young.

April Sykes is giving her best during Sparks tryouts.

As mentioned in this space last week, Jacqua Williams is getting her chance with the Storm. Here's one of my favorite pictures of Williams, from 2007 when she lead Georgia Tech to an NCAA playoff win:


Outtakes on my Sparks-first-day-at-camp story:

- First I talked to the veterans, who commented on how strong and conditioned the rookies were. Then I talked to Nnemkadi Ogwumike, who said the veterans seemed so strong that she hoped she'd match up.
- It really struck me when Ogwumike said she wasn't sure if she could handle the practices. People build up their favorite athletes into these goddesses, but the athletes just think of themselves as regular people.
- Delisha Milton-Jones talked about trying to ease the pressure for the youngsters. She said she'd joke until someone finally copped to something like, "I'm nervous today." She'd then say, "why you nervous, baby? It's the same game - just a little bit more intensity. It's gonna be hard work, but it's gonna be needed, so don't sweat it." Milton-Jones and Ebony Hoffman are truly nice people.
- I love the coaches accents: Carol Ross with her Southern slant, and assistant Sandy Brondello on the Australian tip. Assistant Jim Lewis didn't say much, so I don't know where he's from............

No comments: