Monday, February 20, 2012

The beginning of the exodus?

A legend retires: Sharon Fanning-Otis will retire as coach at Mississippi State at the end of this season, after 36 years in the business.

I've heard rumblings that, due to conference realignments and accompanying TV deals, that this spring will see numerous coaching changes - the likes of which we may not have seen before. Don't say I didn't warn you: change may be coming.

Tonight's news:

Penn State upset #9 Ohio State, and in the process clinched the top seed in the Big Ten Tournament. They've come a long way.

Notre Dame moved a step closer to taking the Big East title, with a win over Louisville.

With their stunning upset of UConn Saturday, St. John's announced their arrival noisily.

ESPN comments on the wave of upsets that have become a regular thing this season.

San Bernardino's own Layshia Clarendon was named Pac-12 Player of the Week. The Cal guard averaged 24.5 points and five rebounds in leading her team two a pair of wins last week.

1 comment:

Nat said...

I suppose we will see more and more (of the old guard with more than 30 years in the sport) coaches retire. I am sad to see them go. I just hope they are replaced with mostly females who run ethical programs and do not have foul mouths. I see and hear too many coaches (mostly men) curse at their players and referees. Even though women's BB is improving every year, I would hate for it to sink to that level. I am not a prude, but it just seems so out of place for high school and college sports.