Friday, January 8, 2010

Sports psyche: Crying when injured

In the past year, I've seen two kids I really care about break down in tears when they get injured during a game. In each instance the injury turned out to be minor, and they were able to return to the court after sitting for some minutes. But it was pretty scary for a little bit.

Being heavily into sports psychology, this got me wondering why some kids cry in injury and some don't. I'm not finding anything online that's helpful at all. But I theorize that those who get upset are usually the kids who tend to take things personally and/or have lower self-confidence and/or self-esteem. I'm interested in what others have read or studied, though.

Why do some kids get upset in the face of an injury?

Holla.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

first off it may just be the pain factor; everyone has a different threshold. then, perhaps they're just flat out scared that all their hard work and dedication is about to be for naught. and finally, some folks are just criers. its a way to release tension. personally, i don't see any deep-seated psychological esteem issues involved.

cheers, mate!

scullyfu

Sue Favor said...

Yeah, but why would people cry at pain? Some people do and some people don't - what's the difference?

The "being scared" one was one of my first thoughts, too.

Neither kid is a crier at all.

Sue Favor said...

A local college coach that I know just emailed me. He said it might be fear of injury. And an athlete's mental toughness and inner strength, or lack of, may also be it - or at least form a backdrop.

I agree.