Saturday, July 10, 2010

USA Basketball 99, WNBA All-Stars 72

Sylvia Fowles put on a show today, putting up 23 points, pulling down eight rebounds, and becoming the all-star game MVP. She "stole the spotlight" from the rest of the USA Basketball team, which featured six former or current University of Connecticut players on the roster. Katie Douglas had 15 points for the WNBA squad.

Fowles is being tapped to fill the shoes of the retired Lisa Leslie.

EXPN's Graham Hays' game analysis.

Rebecca Lobo and Carolyn Peck analyze.

Video highlights.

Photos.

I hope to see Big Syl play this year, as in both of her WNBA seasons so far, she's been injured and not with the team by the time the Chicago Sky arrived to play the Sparks. Their showdown at Staples Center this year is Aug. 4.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I turned it off at the half, tired of ESPN's featuring Geno as much as the game. As for the UConn-adoring Connecticut media, this turned my stomach:

"... And Geno is wearing black, just as Pat Summitt has always envisioned him. He tried to pants Diana Taurasi before the game, by the way. The guy always has the on-button on ..."

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_womens_basketball/2010/07/miss-maya-oh-my.html

Sue Favor said...

What the hell??

I only watched the first few minutes of the game myself, for the same reason. The TV media always has to grasp one element and then choke it to death. It didn't help that it was an element I was already not fond of at all.

I like the way Fowles rose above all of that.

Anonymous said...

Richard Cohen's got the method for dealing with the TV media's madness, doesn't he!

"... Man, how the hell do I sell this one? WNBA game on ESPN2 tomorrow night. Always nice to have games on national TV. Uh, probably better if I don't mention who's playing. I suggest buying a bottle of tequila and taking a shot every time a commentator says the name 'Parker' or 'Jones' even though the former will be in street clothes and the latter will be lucky to be on the floor for 10 minutes. You'll be dead to the World by halftime and it'll probably be a blessing. ..."

http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/content/bb/wp-bb/art-wp-bb/this-week-in-the-wnba-week-eight.shtml?41011

It would be vino for Geno, I guess.