Tuesday, July 13, 2010

NCAA recruiting madness stops in LA

The Cal Sparks Summer Games take center stage at the Hangar Athletic Exchange (HAX) tomorrow and Thursday in Hawthorne, Calif.

Reshanda Gray, Ariya Crook-Williams and the rest of the Cal Sparks Gold team are in the Elite Group A pool with OGDL - the reincarnated program that nurtured a lot of Narbonne High School-turned WNBA players.

Elite Group B features West Coast Premier Black, which just won the End of the Trails Tournament without Jordan Adams, who is in Spain/France playing for the U17 team.

The showcase game schedule is intense.

I can't wait for the post eight-hours-of-game-watchin' high tomorrow night.

In the meantime, the Midwest tournaments have been heating up.

And whaddya know - the Sparks won one on the road tonight for the first time this season. They beat Tulsa 87-71.

2 comments:

Patrick Meighan said...

Did you catch the game? It was a fun watch, and I don't wanna dwell on the negative (especially the negative of our leading scorer), but am I crazy when I call Tina Thompson a *major* defensive liability? Every new game I watch I come away more amazed at how porous her interior defense is, how easily she's pushed around in the paint and how slow she is getting back in transition.

By contrast (and I know this sounds weird) I'm becoming a bigger and bigger Wisdom-Hylton fan. The things she does don't really show up in the box score, but the difference between her interior D and Thompson's is just so evident to me.

All of the above having been said, I noticed during yesterday's telecast that Tina basically did all the actual coaching during the Sparks times-out. So, I dunno, give her a clipboard or something.

And what is the rational explanation for the fact that Andrea Riley never got up off the bench until just two games ago? Better late than never, I suppose, but... geez.

I'm no longer a guy who walks around wearing replica jerseys of his favorite professional athletes, but if I were, right now I'd consider going out and getting myself a number 10 and a number 14.

Patrick Meighan
Culver City, CA


p.s.: Did'ya notice that Kathy Goodman appears to've given up blogging after Sparks games? No update since the W against the Silver Stars. Wonder why that is. Just frustration with the season, I guess?

Sue Favor said...

Mornin Patrick,

I didn't catch the game, but it wouldn't surprise me if TT was sucking on defense. Betty Lennox told me after the opening game that the issue with veterans is no one wants to play defense. That's why we need more young players. And it's probably why 24-year-old LWH stands out. She does play great D, and I've mentioned that before in this space. I don't blame you for becoming a fan.

So Tina was coaching yesterday? What's up with that? And I don't get the Riley thing either, but then again I don't pretend to understand Gillom's substitution patterns at all, and neither does anyone else in my section at Staples Center.

If Goodman had taken a blogging hiatus, it appears she's back at it: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/07/at-last.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LAT_Sports_Blog+%28The+Fabulous+Forum%29

Maybe she was waiting for a win.