Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Storm beat Dream, and a trip down memory lane

The Storm did indeed hand the Dream their first loss of the season tonight, 90-72. Lauren Jackson lead the way with 32 points, and Angel McCoughtry, even on a bad night, had 16.

Jayda Evans' game thread is high-larious - especially the first entry, "costume party?"

Though I hate to see streaks broken, it's fitting that the Storm won tonight. On June 1, 2000, the new Seattle Storm franchise had its first home game at Key Arena, and they played Sheryl Swoopes and the Houston Comets, who would go on to win the championship that year. I still have both "inaugural game" balls that they were giving away to fans that night in Seattle, and I remember most everything about that loss. The Storm and the league have come a long way since that night, and not all of it has been in a good way.

But one great thing about this season so far, at least for LA Sparks attendees, is the giveaways. On opening night Friday they gave fans foam fingers. But what killed me was walking in the door Sunday and having a refridgerator schedule magnet put in my hand. Just like the old days! I miss the old days of the WNBA sometimes. And I know on July 3 when I get my Candace Parker bobblehead - my first one in six years - that I'll flip a little bit.

OK, I'll get off the nostalgia box. But I do miss the old days for a few minutes here and there.

No comments: