Saturday, February 6, 2010

A bit of "say what"?

Item 1:

One of the UCLA assistant coaches twittered right after the victory this afternoon that the game against Cal was one of the ugliest ever seen, but they won. I saw the score, 44-32, and thought I understood. But it wasn't until I read about it that I really got it. The Bruins held the Bears to eight points in the first half.

The Bruins missed their first 12 field goals of the game before Dixon finally hit a jumper at 9:20. The tables turned for Cal, however, as the Golden Bears did not score for the final 11 minutes of the half, allowing UCLA to not only get back into the game, but take the lead. The Bruins used a 14-0 run to end the half with a 14-8 lead. Nina Earl had seven of the Bruins' 14 points in the scoring run. The Golden Bears shot a paltry 8.7% (2-for-23) from the field in the half. UCLA did not fare much better, shooting 20% on 5-for-25 shooting.....

The two teams set a UCLA record for fewest points scored by both teams in a game with 76. The previous record was 85 in a 49-36 loss to USC on Feb. 17, 2008. Cal's 32 points in the game was the fewest by a Bruin opponent since UC Santa Barbara scored 31 on Dec. 15, 1984. UCLA's 44 points were the least ever by a Bruin squad in a winning effort.

Yikes. I'm glad I wasn't there.

Item 2:

Tonight at Baylor, they honored the parents of the players before their game. Here is freshman Brittany Griner with her mom and dad. So where the heck did 6'8" come from?

Extra: this is the 1000th post of Hoopism(!).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I listened to the whole game while watching the boys get trounced. To say that the first quarter was 5-7 or eight.
The two teams set a UCLA record for fewest points scored by both teams in a game with 76. The previous record was 85 in a 49-36 loss to USC on Feb. 17, 2008. Cal's 32 points in the game was the fewest by a Bruin opponent since UC Santa Barbara scored 31 on Dec. 15, 1984. UCLA's 44 points were the least ever by a Bruin squad in a winning effort. My daughter will be playing for the Bruin name next year and I listened intently to every excruciating second feeling sorry and worrying about Nikki Caldwell and her wrenching staff and players. Since when did 17% fgp sound exciting?
Always nice to read your blog

Anonymous said...

i think griner is a cutie, love her hair. :)

1000? wow! your blog is a must daily reading for me. THANKS AND CONGRATS!

scullyfu

Sue Favor said...

Hey there, soon-to-be-Bruin mom. Interesting statistics to add to UCLA's write up - thanks. I wouldn't call Nikki Caldwell, her staff and team "wrenching," though, unless you just mean for that game. Every team has a crappy game sometimes, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially since they got the W despite it all. I'm actually worried about Cal. Joanne Boyle was on top of the world, but now she looks a bit lost.

Scull, I also think Griner is cute. She's got such a baby face to me....which is just as adorable when she's hanging off the rim. And after meeting her at the WBCA game last year, I can tell you she's a nice kid, too.

Thanks for reading! :-)

Anonymous said...

Ugly game yes.. But it ended with a Bruin win, so I will take it. Sounds like both teams were a little over pumped for this game, which had a lot of bearing on the Pac-10 standing. Cal was coming up quick and the Bruins, working like dogs to stay near the top. So no matter how it happened, I am happy with the win. Now looking forward to Stanford pounding on SC today.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on 1000 posts. That's a lot of work! I guess you're having a little fun though, huh?

Anonymous said...

The height comes from the milkman!!!

Sue Favor said...

Anonymous 1, yep, I have a great time doing this blog. Thanks for reading.

Anonymous 2, I don't think so.

Sue Favor said...

scully, check the photo of Griner here:

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2010/02/07/baylor-routs-colorado-big-12-not-a-league-for-the-faint-of-heart/

Aw.

Anonymous said...

Both teams should get a loss for this game. And the refs should never work a game again.