Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sparks 78, Lynx 63

Lisa Leslie had a ridiculous game, and in the process, lifted the Sparks to the win over Minnesota. She went an incredible 13-15, and was hitting shots from everywhere on the floor. She's had some big-scoring games lately, and frankly, I'm glad to see it. If you're going to retire, go out the way your fans remember you. Too bad Yo Griffith and Sheryl Swoopes couldn't do the same.

It was an exciting game because the Sparks were doing everything right: defending, rebounding, shooting. More importantly, they were taking the ball to the rack! Some really slick plays in the process - pure Hollywood - that got the crowd screaming and on its feet. Now that's more like it! It's the team I remember from last year (most of the time).

I feel sad for the Lynx, who I like. They were held in check tonight despite the efforts of Candice Wiggins, with 13 points. I can't help but wonder how they'd be doing if Seimone Augustus hadn't been injured.

So the battle for third and fourth place continues, as LA travels to San Antonio Friday. It's goin down!



There are two huddles before tipoff: the starters and the non-starters.



I wish this picture had come out better, because it was fun to see Shannon Bobbitt and Renee Montgomery square off again.



It was "UCLA Night," which meant both the female and male Bruin mascot were wandering around with Sparky during the first half. It also meant the Bruin team was recognized at a timeout (above). Very cool.



Another reason it was UCLA night is that Coach Nikki Caldwell (above) was honored at halftime as an Inspirational Woman. Excellent choice.



Grandmama (Coach Jennifer Gillom).



The Sparks took turns guarding Nikki Anosike. (#21)



That's Candace Parker's foot. She needed a stretch toward the end of the second quarter.



A grip of players, including Anosike and Leslie (above), were wrestling for the ball in the fourth quarter, and it took the refs forever to blow the whistle. I'm convinced they did it on purpose to see what would happen.



This is Halle Berry's back (doncha love the "Berry 1"?). Because as she was walking through the tunnel right below me, I was standing there staring for a minute before I remembered I should be taking pictures. She's shorter than I thought she would be.

4 comments:

Q McCall said...

Crazy -- I couldn't watch last night after the agony of the previous game... but looks like the came together for one night at least...

Looks like Quinn had a really nice game too from the box.... and I actually like what Parker is doing -- just rebounding and defending even though her shot is off...

Looking forward to Sparks - Silver Stars on Friday!

Anonymous said...

Was the entire UCLA team there? Is that Monique on the right with the three foot weave?

Sue Favor said...

Q, I think the low point for me was a couple weeks ago when I left the game with 9.5 seconds to go. Just couldn't stand it. But they're playing much better ball right now. I don't know what's got into them, but I wish it had a long time ago.

Anonymous, Moniquee is wearing a purple head band. I don't see any "three-foot weaves."

Sue Favor said...

Oh, by the way, Q: I agree about Parker. She is not a selfish player, and she's a smart player. When her shots aren't falling, she'll do other things.