Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Diana Taurasi will sit out 2015 WNBA season

Diana Taurasi will sit out 2015 WNBA season:

Diana Taurasi has decided to sit out the 2015 WNBA season, opting to rest for the summer at the request of her Russian club team.

The Phoenix Mercury star accepted an offer from UMMC Ekaterinburg, which will pay her more than her 2014 WNBA salary not to play, sources told espnW. Taurasi made just under the WNBA league maximum of $107,000 last year.

Taurasi's contract with UMMC pays her nearly $1.5 million this winter. The team wants her rested and healthy for next season.


I was told by one of my sources this past Friday night about the Taurasi deal, and I tweeted a blogged a hint about it ("there may be more big news to come") that night. Saturday morning I called the Mercury, on behalf of fullcourt.com, and left a message to call me back about the rumor. My call and email wasn't returned. I called again yesterday, and I called and emailed again today. Never heard anything back.

No comments: