Monday, February 25, 2013

WNBA power moves

Today:

The Liberty have re-signed Essence Carson and acquired Katie Smith. Well, well, well.

The Dream's new assistant coaches are Julie Plank and Joe Ciampi.

The Sun have signed British Olympian Johannah Leedham.

Mercury employee and writer Ben York encourages males to "man up."

College news:

Vanderbilt's Tiffany Clarke is ESPNW's player of the week.

Len'Nique Brown has found her niche at North Carolina State.

Ohio State's offense has been Tayler Hill, and not much else.

Felicia Barron is a true comeback kid for Quinnipiac.

For one last time at home for the seniors yesterday, it was a thriller for Cal.

I said this yesterday: South Florida is surging.

Erica Morrow is the new director of basketball operations at Syracuse.

Book excerpt from Pat Summitt's new memoir, "Sum It Up."

Hearing some news about a couple of firings, but nothing official yet. Stay tuned.

Milestone watch:

Marquette's Sarina Simmons has joined the 1,000-point club.

High school:

Diamond DeShields is the 2013 State Farm/WBCA National High School Player of the Year.

Nice bonus:

Miss Basketball's son carves out his own stellar career.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what the Mercury or Ben York are trying to prove with his "Man Up" piece but if they think replaying this standard male shaming tactic will get men to attend or accept the WNBA they are dreaming. It will however succeed in pissing many men off if they happen to stumble upon it.

It might be a better idea for the Mercury to figure out why there aren't enough paying female fans around to support the league instead of trying to shame men into attending something they haven't shown significant interest in during the past fifteen years or so.

I live in Phoenix and played college basketball on scholarship. I also watch a significant amount of WCBB and WNBA ball. I wouldn't call myself a fan of the women's game but I appreciate good ball if and when I see it.

Hopefully this isn't the extent of the Mercury's fan acquisition strategy for the upcoming season. I've been meaning to send an email to Mercury management expressing my disgust with how they sandbagged last season so they could draft Griner. Now I can share my feelings about this piece too and kill two birds with one stone.

Appreciate the link. Had no idea this foolishness was going on.