Tuesday, June 21, 2011

15th year anniversary of WNBA today

It's on tonight, like it was 15 years ago on this date: LA and NY facing off here in LA.

Penny Toler was playing for the Sparks at the time, but she always had her eye on being the organization's general manager. Tickets for tonight's game will be reduced to 1997 prices.

The league's first president, Val Ackerman, reflects.

Slow starts to this season:

Seattle Storm center Lauren Jackson isn't worried about her own slow start, or that of her team.

ESPN's Mechelle Voepel contemplates whether or not Phoenix should worry about their own slow beginning.

The Liberty are looking for answers to their own inconsistencies.

Injuries:

Tulsa Shock forward Liz Cambage is almost back to full speed after a concussion sustained earlier this month.

Katie Douglas of the Indiana Fever is day-to-day with a contusion.

Big-time back up:

The Sparks' bench showed out the other night, but the bench of the Silver Stars is a potent force too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been a long, long time ... 1989? ... but I will never forget seeing Long Beach State play Washington up here in Seattle. Penny Toler (and Tracy Waites) had attitude to burn: both kept gold jewelry on until moments before tip-off; both trash-talked the Huskies into red-faced turnovers.

Lisa said...

Hey Sue,

Were you at the Sparks-Liberty game last night? What was the crowd and the atmosphere like? It was such a great game to watch on TV!

And what are your thoughts on the Aussie rook Jenna O'Hea? I like her, great shooter & nice defense.

Sue Favor said...

Hey Lisa,

Yep I was there.....have just been delayed today in posting my story link, but I'll be doing that in a moment.

The crowd and atmosphere was amazing - I'm so glad it came through on TV. At one point they had "the wave" going. This was a refreshing change from the usual blah attitude at Staples. I wish the crowd was like that all the time.

I'm covering all the games this year. You can check for game feed updates on hoopfeed.com, and my game story is posted the night of the game or the next morning. I also tweet during games: twitter.com/hoopism.

I didn't know squat about O'Hea until game one. I saw her in the practice I went to on May 20, but there were so many players rotating in and out (this was before cuts) that I didn't see her much. She's got a very good overall game. In my story that I'm about to post, you'll see that Coach Jennifer Gillom considers O'Hea someone she can reliably put in to stop a key player, as she did Pondexter last night.