Sunday, July 5, 2015

Shock are down, but staying up; a few words with Nneka Ogwumike

The Shock may have lost Skylar Diggins, but they're still fighting, and Odyssey Sims may be back soon.

Shock are down, but staying up.

Also, Sparks forward Nneka Ogwumike made her season debut July 2 - her birthday, by scoring 27 points. The next night she put up 19, and today against Phoenix, she had 26 points and 18 rebounds.

I talked to her on her birthday:

SF: Is it nice to be back on the court?

NO: Yes! My teammates have been very supportive and patient with me. Slowly, I'm feeling like myself again.

SF: You were out for a long time.

NO: That's the longest I've ever had to sit out in my career. So I just want to be efficient for my team.

SF: Do you feel like you're back in your groove?

NO: Yeah, I am, and practicing really helps.

SF: Did you find yourself coaching from the bench, like your sister Chiney is doing with her team?

NO: Yeah. And she's the first person I'd always talk to (to commiserate about being injured). I'd call her and ask, "What is liiife?" (Laughs)

No comments: