Friday, November 21, 2008

Upset City! (and a not-quite upset)

I was here at the casa listening to the Vols grind one out against Chattanooga. That is, I was pacing and cussing - almost ready to get in the fetal position - as Tennessee crawled back from a deficit, missed a bunch of free throws, and hung on for dear life to win, 66-63. They hadn't yet won when word came through on the Summitt board that fourth-ranked Duke had been upset by unranked Hartford. That's the third major upset in six days.

The CBS College Sports announcer doing the play-by-play commented that the women's game is becoming like the men's game in that, on any given night, one team can beat another regardless of the ranking. A true and exciting statement.

THEN. Checked the scoreboard as the Tennessee game ended and #24 Old Dominion was about to beat #11 Virginia! Final score was 78-70, ODU.

Very interesting. And the Cal-Rutgers game doesn't start til 8 p.m. It's a free-for-all, y'all. I like it. (As long as the Vols don't lose)

3 comments:

Connie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Connie said...

It certainly is an interesting season thus far in women's basketball. I was pulling out my hair and biting my nails as I listed the Lady Vols game! It sure was a squeaker!

I agree with the CBS announcer. It certainly seems that any team can win on any given night.

I've enjoyed reading your blog. Been following it since July.

Keep up the wood work!

Sue Favor said...

It's hard to believe we've had this much upheaval and drama in only the first week of the counting season, isn't it, Connster97.

Thanks very much for the kind words, and for tuning in. I've always enjoyed your posts on The Summitt.