Friday, August 22, 2008

Go USA!!

USA basketball takes on Australia tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. PDT, 10 a.m. EDT. Everyone pretty much expected this match-up, but even the Australians on the message boards are anticipating a USA win. I mean really - how could anyone else win with the depth that we have? Of course, taking an opponent for granted is a cardinal error. But unless our team has a complete nuclear meltdown, I see them once again on the medal stand with gold draped around their necks at about 9:30 a.m. tomorrow, as I sip my coffee.

I wish it could have been a bit different, with the team facing some challenges along the way. But as the Chinese have a lock on diving and other precision sports, so does the US dominate basketball. As fans of the sport, we are lucky to have that caliber of play available for our viewing consumption year-round.

Well, almost. It's six days from today when the WNBA resumes play again. The last home game here in LA was July 14, which feels like for-freakin-ever ago. I will probably go a little nuts Thursday, shaking my tamborine more than usual.

If there is going to be a dunk at the Olympics, tomorrow is it. I hope CP and/or Fowles throws one down - not for show, but just because they can.

2 comments:

James said...

I really can't see how we could lose. Then again, I'm sure the men's team thought that in 1972.

Sue Favor said...

I don't see how we could lose either, but you can't ever take another team for granted. If we win, I hope it's a good game for at least 2-3 quarters. I'd rather feel like we had to fight a little bit than do the cake walk thing.